November 16, 2022
National Tree Week is the UK’s largest annual tree celebration, running from the 26th November to 4th December. Put your knowledge to the test and take our Treehouse Tree Quiz.
1. What is the most common tree in the UK?
2. Which UK tree has the hardest wood, so strong that the Romans used it to build their chariots?
3. In British folklore, which of the following trees is said to protect against witchcraft?
4. Which tree’s Latin name comes from Celtic words meaning ‘near water’?
a) Birch (Betula)
b) Hawthorn (Crataegus)
c) Willow (Salix)
5. According to mythology, which tree’s flowers provided the green dye Robin Hood used to colour his clothes?
b) Field maple
6. The wood of which tree was used by archers to construct longbows in the Middle Ages?
7. Which ancient species of tree was believed to be the home of the Devil?
a) Monkey puzzle
c) Sweet chestnut
8. Which beloved UK tree species is currently under major threat due to disease?
c) Horse Chestnut
9. The oldest tree in the UK is thought to be The Fortingall Yew in Perthshire, Scotland. How old is it estimated to be?
a) 500 years
b) 1,000 years
c) 3,000 years
Want to learn more this National Tree Week? Then join us at The Nest on Wednesday 30th December for a breakfast Q&A where travel writer and sustainability expert, Juliet Kinsman, and smile-inducing broadcaster, Simon London, will be sharing expert tips how to enjoy life in a more sustainable, eco-conscious way as well as discussing the importance of trees to our eco-system and planet. Discover more here.
ANSWERS: 1. b, 2. b, 3. c, 4. c, 5. a, 6. c, 7. a, 8. b, 9. c
LA-based sustainable stylist and founder of clothing brand CD Studio recently visited London for Fashion Week to soak up the work of the city’s emerging designers, check out innovative rental clothing platforms whilst staying at Treehouse London.
To mark World Mental Health Day we caught up with leading life coach, Jaqueline Hurst, who shares her top tips and five everyday things you can do to be kind to your mind.
In celebration of Organic September celebration, we caught up with Kara Rosen, founder of organic, plant-based drink brand Plenish, to learn more about her story and the power of organic, plant-based nutrition.